Martinez v Astrue
Here are materials for legal services advocates who wish to understand the case and its implications.
- Information for Consumers
This page contains material to assist consumers, clients and others in understanding the Martinez Social Security/SSI settlement. The Social Security Administration recently announced that it will delay the timeline sending notices and providing rel...
- Information for Advocates
Filing to appeal an overpayment on behalf of a client affected by the Martinez settlement consists of sending a letter to the Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) on behalf of the client with the warrant data attached. If the ALJ's decisi...
- San Francisco Social Security/SSI Martinez Case Media Briefing
NSCLC and New America Media co-hosted a media briefing on the successful Martinez class action lawsuit on July 27, 2010. Click here to see the video.
Social Security Benefits Wrongly Denied from New America Media on Vimeo.
- SSA Agrees to Provide Medicare Part B Enrollment Protections to Martinez Class Members
In response to arguments raised by NSCLC and other class counsel, SSA has agreed to use its "executive discretion" to ensure that Martinez class members do not experience a lapse in Medicare Part B coverage as their Social Security benefits are resto...
- Los Angeles Social Security/SSI Martinez Case Media Briefing
NSCLC, the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles, and New America Media co-hosted a media briefing on the successful Martinez class action lawsuit on March 15, 2010.
SSI Settlement Briefing 2 from New America Media on Vimeo.
- Webinar: The “Fleeing Felon” Settlement with SSA
Benefits Available to Your Social Security and SSI Clients
January 29, 2010 Webinar. Gerald McIntyre, Anna Rich and Kevin Prindiville presented.
PowerPoint | Recording
- Social Security Administration Retreats from “Unknowing Flight” Doctrine and Will Pay Hundreds of Millions in Back Benefits
This article in the Clearinghouse REVIEW Journal of Poverty Law and Policy has details of the Martinez settlement.
- SSA OIG Cong. Response Report
Information on how the Martinez class action settlement agreement will affect the Social Security Administration’s (SSA) fugitive felon policy.
- SSA Sends Out First Martinez Notices; Issues New POMS Section
SSA has begun implementation of the Martinez v. Astrue settlement.
Now that the effective date (Nov. 30, 2009) of the settlement in Martinez v. Astrue has passed, SSA has begun implementation of the settlement by sending out informational notices ...
- Important Information for Advocates Working with Social Security and Supplemental Security Income Recipients
Update on Class Action Settlement for Social Security and Supplemental Security Income Recipients
Last week a federal judge granted final approval of a settlement agreement which will end the Social Security Administration’s policy of denying or s...