NSCLC currently works on issues related to people who are dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid. We also advocate on issues related to Medicare managed care, particularly those that have the most impact on low income older adults, and we seek to ensure that Medicare prescription drug coverage (Part D), especially the low-income subsidy, is implemented properly nationwide. NSCLC also works to improve access to Medicare for people with limited proficiency in English.
Besides our ongoing administrative advocacy with the federal
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and state health agencies, NSCLC works closely with other organizations like the Medicare Rights Center, a national nonprofit that helps people with Medicare understand their rights and benefits, and the Center for Medicare Advocacy which provides counseling, training, presentations and materials on a wide variety of Medicare topics.
- Find reports, briefs and other information related to our work on Dual Eligibles.
- Find recent directives and other information related to the Medicare Part D low-income subsidy.
- WEBINAR: Medicare Marketing Guidelines and Cal MediConnect
When: Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 11 AM - 12 PM PDT
To prevent marketing abuses, the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS) has very specific guidelines that Medicare plans must follow when marketing their products These gener...
- Statement on Medicare Observation Status
In a statement submitted to the Senate Special Committee on Aging dated August 8, 2014, the National Senior Citizens Center throws its support behind the Improving Access to Medicare Coverage Act of 2013 (H.R. 1179/S. 569). The bill would "protect co...
- Health Network Alert – Protecting Medi-Cal Beneficiaries from Balance Billing: Resources for Advocates
(08/08/2014) Advocates continue to report attempts by providers, particularly physicians, to ”balance bill” dual eligible beneficiaries (those who qualify for both Medicare and Medi-Cal) for charges not covered by Medicare or Medi-Cal.
- CMS Releases More Windsor Guidance on Medicaid
July 2014 -- One-year after the Supreme Court’s landmark decision in United States v. Windsor, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) continues to release guidance on same-sex marriages and Medicare and Medicaid. CMS recently issued a l...
- WEBINAR: Medicare & Medicaid Post-DOMA: Changes for Same Gender Couples?
Free Webinar Series
A year after the Supreme Court decision in United States v Windsor, federal agencies have been issuing rules that affect same sex couples regarding programs like Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, Medicare, and Medicaid...
- Observation Status Statement for the Record
Submitted to the House Ways and Means Committee/Subcommittee on Health (5/20/2014), this statement raises concerns about the impact on medicare beneficiaries of observation status, a practice that deprives many of their right to hospital coverage under...
- WEBINAR: Understanding and Impacting Implementation of New Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services Rules
April 29, 2014
New federal Medicaid rules would, for the first time, set standards that seek to ensure Medicaid HCBS is provided in non-institutional settings, however, many details remain to be determined by individual states. Consumers, advocates ...
- Joint Letter Supports Consumer Protections in Medicare Advantage and Part D Plans
NSCLC signed on to a letter with the Alliance for Retired Americans, AFSCME, California Health Advocates, Center for Medicare Advocacy, Inc., Medicare Rights Center, and National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare, in support of a p...
- WEBINAR: The California Coordinated Care Initiative: Advanced Training Consumer Protections and Benefit Package Summary
Free Webinar Series
The California Coordinated Care Initiative: Advanced Training
Consumer Protections and Benefit Package Summary
California's Coordinated Care Initiative (CCI), including the federally-approved dual eligible demonstration known as...
- WEBINAR: Cal-MediConnect – A Summary of the Three-Way Contract
Cal- MediConnect - A Summary of the Three-Way Contract
In March 2014, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) released the template of the three-way-contract CMS entered into with the Department of Health Care Services and the health pla...