Budget pressures are forcing many governors and legislators to find ways to trim their Medicaid expenses. Through tightening eligibility or cutting benefits, states seek to lower their costs. Often, these changes are illegal. NSCLC seeks to protect Medicaid services (especially those which are home and community based) and the millions of low-income older adults and persons with disabilities who depend on them, through administrative advocacy and litigation.
For more Medicaid related information visit our Long-Term Services & Supports page.
- WEBINAR: Community-Based Settings and the New Medicaid HCBS Standards: Views from the States, 6 Months In
When: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 2-3 PM EDT
On March 15, 2014, the new federal home and community-based services (HCBS) rule went into effect, and the countdown clock for states to craft a transition plan began running. Six months la...
- Health Network Alert – Protecting Medi-Cal Beneficiaries from Balance Billing: Resources for Advocates
(08/08/2014) Advocates continue to report attempts by providers, particularly physicians, to ”balance bill” dual eligible beneficiaries (those who qualify for both Medicare and Medi-Cal) for charges not covered by Medicare or Medi-Cal.
- CMS Releases More Windsor Guidance on Medicaid
July 2014 -- One-year after the Supreme Court’s landmark decision in United States v. Windsor, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) continues to release guidance on same-sex marriages and Medicare and Medicaid. CMS recently issued a l...
- ISSUE BRIEF: Estate Recovery Under Medi-Cal
May 2014-- A new issue brief authored by the National Senior Citizens Law Center describes Medi-Cal estate recovery and clarifies who could be subject to it and under what circumstances.
The state's Medi-Cal estate recovery program has received rene...
- WEBINAR: Medicare & Medicaid Post-DOMA: Changes for Same Gender Couples?
Free Webinar Series
A year after the Supreme Court decision in United States v Windsor, federal agencies have been issuing rules that affect same sex couples regarding programs like Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, Medicare, and Medicaid...
- WEBINAR: Understanding Notices and Appeal Rights in Medicaid Managed Long-Term Services and Supports
The overlay of managed care in Medicaid raises new issues in how beneficiaries can -- or cannot -- understand and exercise their rights. Understanding the rules and options is crucial both for assisting individual clients and negotiating ...
- WEBINAR: Understanding and Impacting Implementation of New Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services Rules
April 29, 2014
New federal Medicaid rules would, for the first time, set standards that seek to ensure Medicaid HCBS is provided in non-institutional settings, however, many details remain to be determined by individual states. Consumers, advocates ...
- WEBINAR: Consumer Protection in MLTSS: Good (and Not-So-Good) Enrollment and Disenrollment Practices
March 31, 2014
This webinar (the second in a series based on the Advocate’s Library of Managed Long-Term Services and Supports Contract Provisions) examined and discussed how states handle enrollment to and disenrollment from Medicaid managed care l...
- WEBINAR: Details Matter- Service Planning and Self-Direction in Medicaid Managed Long-Term Services and Supports
March 07, 2014
An Introduction to NSCLC’s New Advocate’s Library
A wave of new Medicaid Managed Long-Term Services (MLTSS) programs is sweeping the country and promising to impact the way care is delivered to millions of seniors and people with d...
- WEBINAR: Cal-MediConnect – A Summary of the Three-Way Contract
Cal- MediConnect - A Summary of the Three-Way Contract
In March 2014, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) released the template of the three-way-contract CMS entered into with the Department of Health Care Services and the health pla...