NSCLC seeks to employ qualified persons, to provide equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and to administer all personnel activities in a manner that will not discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other consideration prohibited by law.
California Health Policy Attorney/Advocate
The National Senior Citizens Law Center seeks a Health Policy Attorney or Advocate for its Los Angeles, CA office. The chosen candidate will join a highly energetic health team that advocates on issues related to preserving and strengthening critical health benefits programs that assist low-income older adults (Medicaid, Medicare, long term services and supports). The Attorney/Advocate will focus specifically on an education and outreach project in Los Angeles County related to the implementation of California’s Coordinated Care Initiative, also referred to as the dual eligible demonstration. This is a one-year grant funded position starting January 2014.
This is a one-year grant funded position starting January 2014. The successful candidate will become a member of our health team, but will be primarily tasked with participating in an outreach, organizing and advocacy project related to the implementation of the Coordinated Care Initiative in Los Angeles County. In addition to the work on the project, the candidate, as a member of our team, will assist in the prioritization and advancement of NSCLC’s health policy agenda generally.
- Help develop and execute a training curriculum for aging and disability service providers and advocates related to the CCI in Los Angeles County.
- Respond to queries and requests for help from local advocates related to the CCI and other issues in Los Angeles County.
- Conduct outreach to local organizations in need of training and technical support in Los Angeles County.
- Participate in coalition meetings, policy briefings, conferences and other events relevant to the implementation of the CCI in Los Angeles County.
- Establish and maintain relationships with outside entities, such as other legal groups, aging network members, and other Los Angeles-based advocates.
- Travel within Los Angeles County will be required.
- A J.D. or Master’s degree, preferably with a political science or health policy emphasis
- 1-3 years of experience working for a consumer or legal association or other non-profit in a similar capacity
- Understanding of both national and state legislative and regulatory processes
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail and follow-through
- Self-starter with proven organizational and time-management skills
- Capacity to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and build external relationships
- Effective speaking and presentation skills
- Experience in health policy, especially in Medicare, Medi-Cal and/or home and community based services
- Passion for the poor and the aged, with a desire to provide assistance to underserved populations
- Experience working in or partnering with organizations serving diverse populations, including people with disabilities and communities of color
National Senior Citizens Law Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NSCLC particularly encourages applications from members of minority groups, women, and others whose background may contribute to more effective representation of low-income people and underserved communities.
To Apply: Send cover letter, résumé, one original writing sample, and three professional references to Jenni Choi, email@example.com, and Amber Cutler, firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, but applications submitted by December 13 will be given special consideration. We are aiming to begin interviews by the end of December.